Thursday, March 17, 2011

South Texas Botanical Gardens

This is the "Gator Pond" at the gardens.  We didn't see any wildlife except for a few ducks and occasionally an egret.  Most of the area is pretty typical Texas with lots of grasses, scrub trees, and cacti.

 There is a house of orchids and many of them are in bloom.  This one caught my eye--like a Lady Slipper in green velvet.
 And my fav:  a bed of poppies and larkspur--so colorful and pretty.  It reminds me of the wildflower field on the Nature Trail at Hilton Head Island.
 Pete and I were talking about the birds in this aviary and this little guy just popped his head out of the nest as though to say, "Who's there?"
Another of my favorites were the little wild crocus that were plentiful in the gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment